Thursday, May 01, 2008

Day 28: Footprint

We make a living by what we get;
We make a life by what we give.
Winston Churchill


Kerry Shook starts today by noting that when we leave this earth we want to leave a small environmental imprint but a large spiritual imprint. Let me quote two of his paragraphs that look at God's power to change us so we can leave this kind of imprint.

God loves you just the way you are, but he loves you too much to let you stay that way. Phillipians 2:13 puts it this way; For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him. Our Father empowers us to live transformed lives when we admit our mistakes and their consequences. The Bible says God gives grace to the humble, but he opposes the proud (Proverbs 3:34). So when we humble ourselves and say, "God, I need You to give me the power to change; I need You to give me the power to love; I need You to give me the power to do the things You ask me to do,: then he fills us with his strength.

Grace accepts me where I am, but grace also gives me the power to change. Titus 2:11-12 says, For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age. When we're in the atmosphere of God's grace and feel totally accepted, we crave change. We want to know him and be more like him. page 212, 213

Do you crave change? Why or why not? What area of your life have you chosen not to change or thought you didn't have the power to change? Bring it to God and tell him that you are not only asking for the power but willing to receive it and act on it by faith.

No comments: