Monday, December 03, 2012

Don't be part of the 98%

Every business needs to advertise. But what about churches. Should Cedarbrook advertise?

I read some research once that was shocking. They compared print, radio, television, and personal invitations to the cost invested. There was no comparison. 

The most effective way, BY FAR, was personal 90% effective. And it's free!  The other methods were very poor in attracting people to church.

Because of that, Cedarbrook rarely advertises. I don't have anything against it. There are times when it might be appropriate (like creating general awareness that we exist). But in general it doesn't bring a very high return on investment.

But here's the bad news...even though personal invitations are free, few people invite their friends to church. Here's what one marketing expert reported:

82% of the unchurched are somewhat likely to attend church if invited. ...Unfortunately, only 2% of church going people ever invite someone to church in a given year. To make matters worse, 70% of unchurched people have never been invited to church in their whole lives. 

Are you part of the 2% or the other 98%?

There are two times of the year when most people will accept an invitation to church: Christmas and Easter. I hope you will walk across the room to invite that co-worker or schoolmate. My guess is they'll say yes. It could change their life!

We'll be passing out invitation cards this Sunday. Be thinking who you might give one to. Thanks.