Thursday, December 02, 2010

Book Review: Your Money God's Way

If you are a person of faith and find yourself falling into money problems on a regular basis, Your Money God’s Way, might be a good shot in the arm. Amie Streater is a pastor who works full time at a megachurch teaching financial principles and counseling people in financial trouble. Her book is filled with anecdotes from her interaction with hundreds of people.

Amie is a straight talking, in-your-face kind of coach. I appreciated her directness and willness to call stupid stupid. Some church people can talk themselves into buying just about anything and even go into debt and then justify it either with the Bible or convincing themselves that “God told them to do it.” Streater doesn’t put up with such silliness and tackles seven myths, or what she calls “counterfeit convictions”. An example of just one is “I can’t really afford this, but I’ll just put it on my credit card. When the bill comes, God will provide!”.

I struggled a bit with the style of the book. Maybe it was because I was expecting something more along the lines of Dave Ramsey with principles and practices. But Streater’s book is more like sitting down with a wise counselor who isn’t afraid to tell you what’s wrong with your thinking and then gives you a laundry list of what to do at the end of each chapter.

Overall, I think it’s worth the read…especially if you have trouble making common sense financial decisions. This book will set you straight!

Disclaimer: I review books for Thomas Nelson in exchange for free books. But I am not required to give them a favorable review.

No comments: