Monday, November 19, 2012

Getting Into the Bible

I've really dropped the ball on this blog. Sorry about that.  The best way to keep up on Cedarbrook happenings is through our weekly newsletter but not everyone gets that. I'd like to use this space to expand on some thoughts about Cedarbrook. I just need to get back into the habit.

Today I want to talk about a new Bible study I just started on Monday nights. It came about in response to all the people that recommitted their life to Christ after the Nick Hall meetings recently.  

Pastor Kyle and I offered a one-night "Jump Start Your Faith" meeting to give people ideas how to rekindle their faith. The main thing we recommended was to get into studying the Bible with other people. To help make that happen I offered to lead a four week study on the book of Philippians.

I just got home from our second meeting. I love it. I don't teach. I just ask a lot of questions as we read through one chapter a night.  I call it an "old fashion" Bible study because that's all we do...no personal checkins. Just straight reading and discussing the Bible.

We have two weeks left if you want to join in. But call me or email me first so I know you are coming. We meet from 7-8:30pm.

Here's a brief recap of what we've learned:

Paul is writing to the Philippian church from jail. He thinks he might die but not sure. But he's concerned for the Philippians. They are suffering for their faith and the church is falling apart. They are being selfish and arguing with each other instead of pulling together to help one another. They seem to think they can't make it spiritually without Paul's presence.  He tells them that they don't need him, they need God. It's God who began a good work in them. He is able to finish it.

Paul call's on them to live out their salvation in a manner that's worthy of Christ. He repeats a song that was probably sung in worship about how Jesus emptied himself divinity to come into the world as a servant to die for us. He calls on the people to humble themselves in the same way so unbelievers see their good works and give God the credit. He says he's willing to die on their behalf if they lived out their faith in this way.

I love seeing how the reading the Bible transforms people. We are offering Bible classes three times a year in Cedarbrook YOUniverstity (CBYOU) and I hope to offer other Bible studies in addition whenever possible. Email me if you want to know about future studies or even get in on this one yet.


No comments: