Monday, January 03, 2011

Facing the Giants in Your Life

Yesterday I looked at the fall of Saul and the rise of David in Israel. What set David apart from Saul was his passion for God...his passion to honor God and not himself. God honors those who honor him.

Sometimes as I preach I feel like God is emphasizing a specific point through me. Yesterday I had that sense as I talked about David running into battle. My point was that David didn't pray for God's help and then sit back and wait for someone else to show up and save the day. He took it upon himself to do the hard thing...confront the giant. It's when he took that risk that God showed up giving him courage, faith, wisdom and skill beyond his ability. If he hadn't taken action Goliath would have won the day, not David.

I've heard people say...I prayed and asked God for help but he didn't do anything. But maybe God is saying the same thing! Maybe he is asking...why did you pray for help and then not do anything? I was all set to empower you to overcome your problem but you sat back and waited for someone else to save the day. You just missed a huge opportunity!

The best way to see God move in your life is to take a risk...seek to obey him in an area that you've previously accepted defeat and see if he doesn't give you the power to do what you never thought you could do. That's what makes Bible heroes heroes. They are ordinary weak people who trusted God to empower them to do what they thought was impossible.


If you are behind on The Story I hope you'll get caught up! You can do it!

No comments: