Tuesday, January 08, 2008

What does it mean to go "deeper" spiritually?


I went to a T.D. Jakes revival in Washington, D.C. last week. I had never seen him before. Interesting guy. It was a supercharged, quasi-pentecostal setting...not my preferred ministry environment but I still was challenged...not always because of the message. (Sometimes in spite of it!).


One thing that struck me was my need to go to another level spiritually. To be honest, and I don't mean this in an arrogant way, I'm very comfortable where I'm at spiritually. I've come a long way over the years. I feel like God has chipped a lot of pride and selfishness away from me. He's moved me from a self-centered life to one that is focused on helping/serving others. And I feel like I understand the ways of God pretty well.


I'm not saying that I'm perfect by any means...I've just come a long way and it feels good to be where I'm at. In many ways I've surpassed where I thought I'd be when I first decided to follow Jesus at 19. I would never say that I've "arrived" spiritually, but I am comfortable. But as I reflected on that...it seemed wrong.


I got to thinking about God and how infinite he is. No matter how close to God you are, no matter how refined you've become, there is always another level to go. The "well" of Jesus is infinintely deep. So really, being comfortable is not a good place to be...at least, if that means that you aren't seeking to move on. It's like saying that you've invested well financially all your life and now you are just going to live off the interest. Or, you've invested in people all your life and now you are going to stop investing in people and just live on the relationships that you've formed. Somehow it seems self-serving. I think as long as we have breath we are to be investing ourselves in this life in every way; financially, relationally, spiritually, and in serving others.


I have more thoughts to share but I'll save them for the next post. I just wanted to get you thinking about going deeper this year. Maybe you have grown comfortable too. Or is "comfortable" just another word for "stagnant"?

No comments: